eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptocurrencies, as well as trading CFD assets.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 65% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Wall Street registers small gains
On the first trading day of 2019, the DJ30, SPX500 and NSDQ100 indices all closed slightly higher. Some tech stocks performed well, with Amazon and Facebook registering impressive gains. However, the profits could be short-lived, as futures indicate US markets will open significantly lower today.
135.32 4.23 (3.23%)
1535.87 33.9 (2.26%)
Today’s highlights: Global markets seen lower
- Apple crashes after-hours: In a letter to its investors, tech giant Apple lowered its revenue guidance and reported worse-than-expected iPhone sales, especially in China. As a result, the AAPL stock plummeted more than 7.5% after-hours. Apple’s crash impacted the tech sector, as other major stocks, such as Amazon and Google declined more than 2% after-hours.
- Ethereum regains spot as 2nd-largest crypto: The positive momentum seen in crypto markets yesterday persisted over the past 24 hours, as all top 10 cryptos registered gains. At the time of writing, Bitcoin was up more than 1.5%, inching towards the $3,900 mark. Ethereum led the top 10, gaining more than 8% and passing XRP to regain its spot as the 2nd-largest crypto by market cap.
- Asia mostly lower: The HKG50 registered losses this morning, while the China50 was nearly flat. Markets in Japan remain closed due to a bank holiday, and will reopen tomorrow.
- USD weakens against Yen in flash crash: The Japanese Yen reached a near-decade high against its major peers overnight, including a 7-minute surge which saw it grow 8% against the AUD and 3% against the USD, bringing the greenback to its lowest levels against the JPY in 9 months.
- Volatility expected for USD: The ISM Manufacturing PMI report will be released in the US at 15:00 GMT, potentially impacting the greenback.
- Oil continues to slip: Concerns over a global economic slowdown, coupled with rising supplies put pressure on oil prices, as they continued to fall this morning, registering losses of more than 1.5%.
- Gold hits 6-month high: The precious metal remains in high demand, as investors continue to look for safe haven assets, lifting the price of gold to a 6-month high.
- Brexit concerns weigh on GBP: After showing gains earlier this week, the GBP fell 1% yesterday, as the general sentiment in Britain is one of uncertainty ahead of the divorce from the EU, which will happen later this year.
- Europe opens lower: The UK100 opened 18 points lower, the GER30 was down 46 points and the FRA40 opened 19 points lower.
157.48 -0.26 (-0.16%)
148.2401 -5.3133 (-3.46%)
107.68 -1.18 (-1.08%)
46.17 -0.33 (-0.71%)
Stocks earnings releases on 04/01/2019
Earnings season begins: To follow upcoming earnings reports, go to eToro’s Earnings Reports Calendar. Please note that maximum leverage for CFD stocks will be limited to X5 one day ahead of earnings report releases. X10 leverage will be available again soon after the report is published.
* Cryptoassets are a highly volatile unregulated investment product. No EU investor protection. Your capital is at risk.
* Please note that due to market volatility, some of the prices may have already been reached and scenarios played out.
* The information above is not investment advice.