eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptocurrencies, as well as trading CFD assets.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 65% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Wall Street volatility continues
Another volatile session was recorded yesterday in US markets, as the day started with strong gains, but ended with the DJ30 closing only slightly higher and the SPX500 and NSDQ100 closing lower. After JPMorgan upgraded its forecast for General Electric, the stock leaped, closing more than 7% higher. Some tech stocks also registered gains, including Facebook and Apple.
JPMJPMorgan Chase & Co
101.03 0.01 (0.01%)
GEGeneral Electric Co
7.18 0.47 (7%)
Today’s highlights: EU refuses to renegotiate Brexit
- May suffers another Brexit blow: British Prime Minister Theresa May travelled to Brussels in an attempt to renegotiate the Brexit deal. However, EU leaders informed May that they are not willing to renegotiate the terms, putting more pressure on the British PM.
- Cryptocurrencies continue to slide: The bearish trend in the crypto market continued over the past 24 hours, as all top 10 cryptocurrencies registered losses. At the time of writing, Bitcoin was down more than 3%, trading just above the $3,300 mark. Bitcoin Cash registered losses of more than 9%, recording a new all-time low.
- Asian markets mostly lower: While the China50 was seen higher this morning, the JPN225 and HKG50 both registered significant losses, each dropping more than 1.4% as of the time of writing.
- Oil registers losses: After showing gains of 2% yesterday, oil prices dipped 1% this morning. The recent losses are attributed to investors taking profit, due to concerns that an economic slowdown in China may impact demand.
- Volatility expected for USD: Monthly Retail Sales reports are due in the US at 13:30 GMT, potentially impacting the greenback.
- Europe opens lower: The UK100 opened 70 points lower, the GER30 was down 98 points and the FRA40 opened 48 points lower.
85.78 -2.45 (-2.78%)
52.55 -0.48 (-0.91%)
1.1346 -0.0011 (-0.1%)
Earnings season coming to a close: The last round of earnings report will be released over the next few weeks towards the end of the year. To follow upcoming earnings reports, go to eToro’s Earnings Reports Calendar. Please note that maximum leverage for CFD stocks will be limited to X5 one day ahead of earnings report releases. X10 leverage will be available again soon after the report is published.
* Cryptoassets are a highly volatile unregulated investment product. No EU investor protection. Your capital is at risk.
* Please note that due to market volatility, some of the prices may have already been reached and scenarios played out.
* The information above is not investment advice.