eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptocurrencies, as well as trading CFD assets.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 65% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Fed rate decision coming today
The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) will be announcing its final rate decision for the year at 19:00 GMT, followed by a press conference with Fed Chair Jerome Powell at 19:30 GMT. Despite President Trump strongly opposing another rate hike, the Fed is expected to raise rates by 25 base points. The decision could have a substantial impact on US markets.
1.1394 0.0031 (0.27%)
Today’s highlights: Cryptocurrency comeback continues
- Cryptocurrencies continue to surge: After showing massive gains earlier this week, the crypto market remained on its positive trajectory, with all top 10 cryptos registering impressive gains over the past 14 hours – 4 of which in double digits. At the time of writing, Bitcoin was up by more than 6%, nearing the $3,800 mark. Of the top 10 cryptos, Bitcoin Cash showed the largest gains, skyrocketing more than 27%.
- Asian markets mostly lower: Markets in the East declined this morning, as both the China50 and JPN225 indices registered losses. In contrast, the HKG50 was seen slightly higher.
- Wall Street volatility continues: After another volatile session yesterday, the DJ30 and NSDQ100 both closed higher, while the SPX500 was mostly flat. Major tech stocks were on the rise, as Amazon, Google, Apple, Facebook and Microsoft all registered gains yesterday.
- Oil recovers slightly: After crashing to levels not seen since August of last year yesterday, oil prices showed a slight recovery, rising more than 1.5%.
- Volatility expected for CAD: The monthly Consumer Price Index report is due in Canada at 13:30 GMT, potentially impacting the Canadian Dollar.
- China and US reportedly held call on trade war: In a short statement, China’s Commerce Ministry today said a call was held by representatives from both nations, discussing the recent trade turmoil.
- Quarterly GDP data to be released in New Zealand: The quarterly GDP report will be published in New Zealand at 21:45 GMT, potentially impacting the Kiwi Dollar.
- Europe opens mixed: The UK100 opened 4 points lower, the GER30 was nearly flat and the FRA40 opened 10 points higher.
111.82 12.22 (12.27%)
46.69 0.47 (1.02%)
1.3456 -0.001 (-0.07%)
0.686 0.0017 (0.25%)
Stocks earnings releases on 19/12/18
Stocks earnings releases on 20/12/18
WBAWalgreens Boots Alliance Inc
Earnings season coming to a close: The last round of earnings report will be released over the next few weeks towards the end of the year. To follow upcoming earnings reports, go to eToro’s Earnings Reports Calendar. Please note that maximum leverage for CFD stocks will be limited to X5 one day ahead of earnings report releases. X10 leverage will be available again soon after the report is published.
* Cryptoassets are a highly volatile unregulated investment product. No EU investor protection. Your capital is at risk.
* Please note that due to market volatility, some of the prices may have already been reached and scenarios played out.
* The information above is not investment advice.