eToro is a multi-asset platform which offers both investing in stocks and cryptocurrencies, as well as trading CFD assets.
CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 65% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work, and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Wall Street reaches new 2018 lows after Fed hikes rates
As expected, the Federal Open Market Committee announced another rate hike yesterday, raising interest rates by 25 base points. After initially showing gains to start the day, Wall Street took a turn for the worse following the hike, as the DJ30, SPX500 and NSDQ100 all closed lower, reaching new lows for 2018. The tech sector registered significant declines, with Amazon and Apple each dropping more than 3%. It seems that the woes on Wall Street will continue today, as futures point to more losses when markets open.
1498.96 -52.52 (-3.39%)
161 -5.07 (-3.05%)
Today’s highlights: Cryptos revert to losses; Facebook drops 7%
- Cryptocurrencies show correction: Following two days of strong gains, the cryptocurrency market was seen lower over the past 24 hours, as 7 of the top 10 cryptos registered losses. Bitcoin Cash registered the largest gains, leaping 17% and regaining its spot as the 4th largest cryptocurrency by market cap.
- Asia seen lower: Following Wall Street’s lead, markets in the East were seen lower this morning, including a 3% drop by the JPN225, and losses of more than 1.3% by both the China50 and HKG50 indices at the time of writing.
- Facebook dives 7%: Following a report in the New York Times regarding unreported data sharing practices by the social media giant, the FB stock tumbled to close more than 7% lower.
- BoE rate decision coming today: The Bank of England will be announcing its monthly rate decision today at 12:00 GMT, potentially impacting the GBP, UK100 and other instruments in the UK.
- Oil continues to slip: After a small uptick yesterday, oil prices reverted back to losses this morning, despite reports showing increasing global demand for oil.
- Europe opens lower: The UK100 opened 119 points lower, the GER30 was down 161 points and the FRA40 opened 78 points lower.
133.69 8.35 (6.66%)
132.64 -11.02 (-7.67%)
1.2666 0.0052 (0.41%)
47.18 -0.23 (-0.49%)
Stocks earnings releases on 20/12/2018
Stocks earnings releases on 21/12/2018
Earnings season coming to a close: The last round of earnings report will be released over the next few weeks towards the end of the year. To follow upcoming earnings reports, go to eToro’s Earnings Reports Calendar. Please note that maximum leverage for CFD stocks will be limited to X5 one day ahead of earnings report releases. X10 leverage will be available again soon after the report is published.
* Cryptoassets are a highly volatile unregulated investment product. No EU investor protection. Your capital is at risk.
* Please note that due to market volatility, some of the prices may have already been reached and scenarios played out.
* The information above is not investment advice.